Glimpse of Nature 51. A look at changing fall colors through the branches of an old growth oak tree in Martin Nature Preserve of the Finger Lakes Land Trust in Schuyler County, NY.
On the edge of the Village of Trumansburg, NY near Cayuga Lake and Ithaca, Smith Woods is a 32 acre woodland with “old growth” trees, some that pre-date European settlement. Cayuga Nature Center took over the preserve from a local trust organization that had protected this small forest from destruction for a century. Smith Woods is a valuable local resource for environmental education and forest ecological studies.
Watch this 3 1/2 minute video for more about Smith Woods.
From a press release from FingerLakes1.com, 4/24/2009:
“Smith Woods is a magnificent, diverse tract of old growth forest located across from the fairgrounds, just south of the village of Trumansburg. Some of the trees are more than 200 years old, with a recently fallen hemlock dating back to 1663.
“The earliest records (1817) indicate that the tract was owned by Nicoll Halsey, a U.S. congressman who built a grist mill along Taughannock Creek. Mr. Halsey cleared lots of land south of Trumansburg, but for some reason, Smith Woods was left mostly intact. Halsey eventually sold the land to the local bank for debt repayment. After a few years, it was purchased by Henry Smith, a wallpaper manufacturer from New York City who vacationed in the area. When Smith died, he passed the tract on to his son, Arthur. A. Smith, who did not wish to vacation in the area but was a conservationist. He established a trust and sold the land to it for $1.00… [in]…1909.
“For …100 years, the woods [were] managed by community members serving as trustees of the trust. However, the Smith Woods board was not associated with an institution, so the property was not fully used for “educational and recreational purposes” as established in the charter. In 2005 the Smith Woods board began searching for a partner to help with the management of the property. [In 2009], the Cayuga Nature Center enthusiastically embraced the opportunity as the missions of both entities are nearly identical. A loop trail was established, school groups, scouts and community groups began using the woods for educational purposes, and invasive species were removed.”